pickles

Everyday Tim comes in with an abundance of vegetables from the garden.  I have had no trouble finding uses for squash, zucchini, tomatoes, basil, parsley, bell peppers and jalapenos.  But the cucumbers were another story.  I sliced some into my water...decorated my salad...but we had accumulated close to 8 pounds, so something had to be done!

I drew on the experience and advice of my mother-in-law (thank you Donna) to make PICKLES!  



I added the liquid pickling mixture, made from Mrs. Wages all-natural quick process pickle mix, poured into the jars over the slices, closed the lids and processed them in the canner until they were sealed tight.  Did you know that the salt has to be canning salt and cannot contain iodine?  If it did, the liquid would be cloudy and that would not make a pretty pickle picture!

I only have 3 more hours to wait until I can try one (the wait is 24 hours)! 

And so friends, when the garden gives you cucumbers, make pickles!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband is nagging at me to learn how to make pickles and I know I'm going to have to learn to can SOON, so I will just have to suck it up and learn how to do it.... Way to go girl, hope your first bite is good!

Cait's Plate said...

This is such a good idea! I love all those jars. Also, your pictures are beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...