thyme chicken noodle soup

Call me C.R.A.Z.Y but I made soup today for lunch.  Yes, it was 103 degrees yesterday.  Yes, it is supposed to be 106 today.  Yes, we have had 37 100-degree days and 30 of those have been consecutive.  But, I made soup...

I can only have so many salads and sandwiches for lunch and I wanted something hearty but light.  And I did not slave away making this, from start to finish it was about 20 minutes.  I used carrots and onions from our garden (that I keep frozen) and low sodium chicken broth.  The thyme made it savory.

The soup was satisfying and it helped that I sat in my air conditioned house while eating it!

~thyme chicken noodle soup~
4 c. low sodium chicken broth
4 c. water
1/3 c. lime juice
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 c. shredded, cooked chicken
1/2 lb. angel hair pasta
Salt and pepper

In a large pot, bring the broth, water and lime juice to a boil.  Add the onion, carrots, celery, thyme and garlic powder and return to boil.
Add the chicken and angel hair and cook at a gentle boil for 9 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.

2 comments:

Amy-Nutrition by Nature said...

Too funny, I had soup too today, despite the 98-100 degree wheather! I was thinking the same thing, I don't want another sandwich again! Mine was southwestern black bean.

Ashley's Cooking Adventures said...

We just moved to Okinawa, Japan where the average temp is always above 70, but this soup looks great to me! :) Thyme and chicken is a lovely flavor combination.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...